Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What is "legal" and what is perceived to be legal?

According to the solicitor for Coldstream Council the action of extending the sewer trunk line at taxpayers' expense was totally legal. This paragraph of the legal opinion describes the situation to a tee:
"While it might be argued by opponents of the project that there are elements of unfairness, it can not be said that the expenditures were unlawful. A Council acting within its lawful authority is fully entitled to make such decisions."

Apparently, there are many shades of legality or claimed legality if one does not consider the "fairness" issue.

We generally expect our elected representatives to be fair to us, taxpayers. While legality may have many shades it seems to me that the definition of "fairness" to the taxpayers could be much simpler: get the best deal for the general taxpayers.

For an interesting definition of legality please visit the following website:
****************************************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.