Thursday, October 2, 2008

Readers write.

The time has come for candidates to step forward.... thank you Peter Peto for your vote of confidence, and thank you for trying to raise the level of political awareness with your astute observations and thought provoking submissions to the blog. You are right , more of us should participate in the discussion made possible by this useful medium thanks to the efforts of Gyula Kiss, and so today I will use this forum to share my thoughts too.

I think the citizens of Coldstream may be readier than ever, to become less politically conservative. The conservative alternative is the status quo, and anyone who has followed the actions of Coldstream Council recently, knows that the status quo is not good. The latest senseless spending on a legal opinion and audit reported on by Jennifer Smith ( Morning Star Sept. 28th,2008) is outrageous! It seems to me that Coldstream Council is willing to pay any price to silence criticism and the democratic process. The high priced legal opinion may appease Coldstream Council's conscience, but it has not appeased the voters, and the Council will still be held accountable for something that was not illegal but perhaps only immoral.

I feel that Gyula Kiss's concerns could have been dealt with in a much cheaper and satisfactory way by some honest and open communication. This response is meant to intimidate, and make people think twice about asking for information lest they become the cause of expensive legal opinions.

Well today I submitted my papers to the Chief Electoral Officer and became the first official candidate running for ( the new and improved) Coldstream Council! I look forward to other outspoken candidates like Peter Peto, and Gyula Kiss, throwing their hat into the rink, they along with inspiring incumbents like Jim Garlick and Bill Firman, and hopefully a few other good people, could give Coldstream voters some good options to getting rid of the status quo. If you have spoken up at Council meetings and taken an interest in issues that affect the whole community ( not just your self interest), if you have the time, health, dedication, and the honest desire to do some good for your community, then, I encourage you to step up & run for Council.

Living in Coldstream is a joy and a privilege - we should not be complacent about it's future. Let us not relinquish our power to shape and contribute to that future, elect a Council that reflects your values and will listen to you.

I'll borrow some inspiring words form Brad Clements: "The future is ours to create. Lets be intentional about it."

Maria Besso

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.