Thursday, October 30, 2008

Readers write -- Where is the accountability?


I’ve received a glossy brochure in the mail from one of the mayoralty candidates. In it he refers to accountability.

It is one thing to talk about accountability and another to have it.

Which candidate voted to take the land out of the ALR for a sports complex and which voted to keep it in?

Who voted to waste $665,000 for a sewer which benefitted mainly one developer at the expense of the existing sewer users? This decision is responsible for the existing sewer users seeing an increase in their sewer bill.

Which candidate had three times the expense of the mayor and implies that the other candidate was not doing his job because his expenses were too low?

Which candidate is responsible for most of the morale problems in the fire department?

Sorry, I do not see any accountability in this glossy brochure.

***************************************************************

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this same candidate should have mentioned in the nice brochure that he has been accountable to the Chief Administrative Officer. I had always thought that Council was accountable to the citizens and that the CAO was accountable to Mayor and Council, but what do I know!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, in the same brochure he seems to have done everything himself,if that is the case, why are we bothering to vote for Mayor and Council

Anonymous said...

Gosh, in this same brochure, he seems to have done everything by himself, not mentioning that he was part of a group of people doing it. In another letter, he says he convinced council to let the price tag for the Fire Halls be 4 million dollars.
These statements will be judged by
the electorate I have no doubt.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.