Sunday, October 12, 2008

Readers write.

So, we supposedly have a choice in our mayoralty candidates. We can choose the candidate (Jim Garlick) who has repeatedly supported the Official Community Plan; wants transparent government (something we have not seen in some time); long term planning with community involvement; and an independent Coldstream, or we can support the candidate (Glenn Taylor) who’s long term vision ( his words) included the Sports Complex on the Spicer Block; who voted for, despite public pleas for community consultation, a new “sewer to nowhere” down Aberdeen Road; who has cultivated a rancorous relationship with the firemen; and who spends our tax dollars like they are dispensed from a limitless tap. I say we really have no choice…..either we elect Jim Garlick or , as a community, face a very uncertain future.

However, Garlick needs our support. He not only needs our votes, he needs us to elect a strong supportive council to assist him and we are fortunate to have a number of great community-involved candidates to choose from. They include : Gyula Kiss, Maria Besso, Doug Dirk, Bill Firman, Richard Enns, Peter Peto, and John Hegler.. I am heartened to see so many other candidates throw their hats in the ring, but my support lies with those people who have devoted much time and effort “to fighting cityhall” over these last months and years. I do not support the return of Mary Malerby (not enough space to list the many reasons), nor the parachuting in of Pat Cochrane ( the name conjures up Vernon Chamber of Commerce, more than concerned Coldstream resident).

I hope to see all at the Candidate Forums. And for the incumbents, ensure that you bring some of those tough questions that you never get to ask at Council meetings.

*********************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Mr. Garlick is the only choice for mayor. Period. He's well- educated, well-read,a world traveller and has the stamina to 'get the job done.' I know Ms.Besso and Mr. Enns personally and know that they are two very intelligent, long-term planning kind of people. (as for the others mentioned- sorry I don't know them.)

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.