Monday, October 27, 2008

Readers write -- Candidate Peto's view of the all candidates' forum

An Explanation for my Withdrawal

Kiss FM and the Morningstar have asked me why I withdraw my name for Coldstream council after the first All Candidates Forum, which was held in Lavington, on 21 October 2008. Well that's a fair question which I haven't been able to completely articulate until recently. I came away from that Forum with strong reservations about the political process. So I decided to write a speech for the next forum meeting in Coldstream indicating my dissatisfactions. Let me tell you why. I will sketch you my picture of local politics. The business and propertied classes shouldn't be able to rule Coldstream, largely in their favor at the expense of others,at least not in a democracy!

The first two forums looked to me like a political circus. Unfortunately each candidate was put under a three minute time constraint and many weren't able to finish their presentations without being rudely interrupted by a buzzer. When it came to answering questions from the audience many candidates felt the need to get up and to speak to questions at length, since there were no time constraints imposed on that process. So we had long cues of candidates lining up with long winded speeches. I found this trying and tiring. It turned out to be a good exercise because it separated the blabber mouths from the listeners. Eventually some of the candidates found reasons to disagree and we had some meaningful confrontations.

Candidates should come to elections as independents. Jim Garlick came just short of endorsing Maria Besso, Richard Enns, Bill Firman and Doug Dirk[?] at the Lavington forum. Rumor is that Jim Garlick, can expect support from Maria Besso and Richard Enns ,assuming at least one is elected, to bear the extra burdens of mayoral duties. Perhaps Jim Garlick should come forward to address this. I don't know who would support Glen Taylor other than the Vernon Chamber of Commerce. I fear he is going down, without his old captain, who has already abandoned the old, discredited alliance of Corner-Taylor- Williams. Doug Dirk seemed to be his habitual, quiet, lonely self and perhaps he does so wisely . John Hegler and Bill Firman got quite pugnacious when incited. Gyula Kiss has been doggedly fighting against a pervasive xenophobia prevalent in the Coldstream. I would hate to think what his chances of election would be if he was a visible minority and not just one with a thick foreign accent. What makes this even more astonishing is how Coldstreamers could embrace the likes of Gary Corner as mayor, who to me, comes across as the most odious and repugnant politician [?] in Coldstream. I think most come away from the forums independent and unaligned. This is perhaps as it should be, except for me, I had the audacity to commend Garlick as mayor when that could turn out to be the kiss of death for him.

I was particularly amused by the artistic contortions Glen Taylor and Mary Malerby went through as they tried to extricate themselves from indefensible predicaments. Malerby just doesn't know when to quit. Poor Pat Cochrane never seemed to recover from the drubbing he got on his stand for amalgamation and the Spicer block sports complex. He went silent the next night knowing he had no support for those positions. He can't claim that he wasn't fore warned by Richard Rolke and myself. Clair Methot,with nine children and innumerable grandchildren needs to get elected because his wife wants him out of the house more often. Lynn Spraggs pleaded he wasn't really Ed Asner, now deceased, but he wants you to help, to him get elected, so he can help you! Grieg Crockett and Dave Rossi exuded a nonchalance and casual charm stiffened with a liberal view of life which I found rather appealing. Perrin Hayes seemed to be as overtaken by the proceedings as much I was and seemed much comforted by his chair. Dean Skoreyko is still trying intrepidly to get excepted into some kind of political group, any group, maybe he should form his own organization predicated on the principles of the Religious Right. I have to admire John Hegler's obvious disgust with presumptuous, oily, two faced , politicians. He probably is angry with them because he knows people shouldn't act that way, at least if they were properly brought up . Becky Strube is hopeful her many talents and work as an architectural designer might be put to good use on council. Ruth Moore is dedicated to life in Lavington and wants to preserve her lifestyle. Allen Dubeski was a no show until the second forum.

I can only guess what others think of me, nobody has ever said anything to my face yet, probably that I am a sanctimonious, radical, opinionated, outspoken hothead who does not know how to behave in the decorous business of local politics. I would not dispute this or even accusations of narcissism. I like to show off when I write . So I consider myself lucky not to be challenged to a duel or hauled into court for sullying undeserved reputations. Which leads me to speculate whether the Coldstream is perhaps the home too many conservative, genteel, sedate, business minded, emotionally repressed WASP's. If that's so, then there would be no taste for even one colorful, charismatic, charming or candid loose cannon on council. [This might explain Coldstream's cool reception to former mayoral candidate and past CRA president Andy Danyliu.] No, seven Casper milk toasts on council marching to Wendy Kay's drumbeat would be just perfect for Coldstream, it seems!

Why did I run for council? Perhaps I just wanted a chance to get my message out, to get the attention of the public about the need for reform at city hall, to save the Coldstream from rapacious developers. That can only be achieved if the electorate choose the right people to get the right jobs done. Elections should not just be popularity contests among long time local residents, even newcomers to the Coldstream should be given a fair chance to serve! I think Coldstreamers have finally come to realize their past electoral mistakes; they have seen their confidence and trust betrayed by some on council and are ready for reform. The old saw applies: “ People get the government they deserve”.

So I have doubts about my desire to rescue Coldstream from yet another dysfunctional, misdirected council or act as an in house watchdog with it's inevitable conflicts. However distasteful it may seem to me now, I did make a commitment, which I can't get out of. Who knows being a councilor could actually be challenging, satisfying, rewarding, perhaps even fun, but that's a stretch. I have a chance to meet new people; perhaps even become friends with some. I will let the public decide what to do with my name on the municipal ballot, if they agree with me then put a mark beside my name, if they do not, then just move on to choices more to their taste.


I hope this explains my belated withdrawal from the electoral circus. I did try to get my message out to the public and perhaps I have had a hand in shaping the outcome of the election. I announced my candidacy with hopefulness, I withdrew because I felt I wasn't needed anymore. You have a lot of good candidates to chose from.

Peter Peto

26 Oct 2008

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three years ago Ruth Moore and Carol Williams were asked the following question:

If an unpopular development were proposed for your neighbourhood would you LISTEN to your neighbours or support the developer?

Neither was able to give a definitive answer.
Seems simple to me: neighbours first!

Anonymous said...

Peter Peto is a very good friend of mine but I do not share some of the views he has expressed in this open letter about his candidacy. Nor do his views represent those of the Coldstream Ratepayers Association, over which I preside.

Steve Heeren

Anonymous said...

Sorry to see you go Peter, your input would have been an asset to the residents of Coldstream. What you say about the pro-business attitude is true to a certain extent, for some members. What is ironic is that these same members have such a lack of insight into losing their highest corporate taxpayer.

Tim Werry

Anonymous said...

Thank you and congratulations, my good friend Steve Heeren, president of Coldstream Ratepayers Association, for being the first person to challenge my views on this blog. I understand your concern that, in view of the fact I am the VP of the CRA, I might damage the independence and credibility of the CRA by my last blog submission. “Let me just say”,as Liberal Paul Martin was fond of saying, that I hope that people could figure out that I was speaking for myself and for not you and Louise Christie and perhaps a few others in the CRA.

Having said that I want to say I heartily support the concept of the CRA as an organization which acts as a focus for disaffected ratepayers, to advocate for principles of good governance, to act as watch dog over local politicians and to hold them accountable thus acting as a counter weight or opposition group to the powers that be. Of course, within any group there will be a difference of opinion. People should always remember that and allow for it. I am not presently wearing my CRA cap but that doesn't mean that I won't after the elections are over.

So, no hard feelings on my part to the people of the CRA and my apologies for any embarrassment I may have caused them with my brash remarks.

Peter Peto

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.