Thursday, October 30, 2008

A,B,C's of annexation -- By Jennifer Smith

The last time I checked, things seemed to be running relatively well in the electoral areas such as BX, rural Enderby, Trinity Valley, et al.

So why is it that these residents (of which I am in the BX category) are now facing an uncertain future – one that is being suggested by the provincial government and the City of Vernon?

Doesn’t anyone believe in that old saying anymore: “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?”

Now obviously, not everything is rosy in the rural areas, but then again, where is it?

But without any major problems, one has to wonder why the North Okanagan Regional District is pressuring the B.C. government to complete a restructuring study in the first place?

And why NORD is sending questionnaires out to electoral area residents this week?

Even community services minister Blair Lekstrom has said he’s interested in healing the rural and urban situation.

Since when were we broken?

Don't get me wrong, I honestly think it’s a good idea to get an opinion reading from the residents. Because maybe they’re really not happy with how things are going. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks things are just dandy.

But not having heard any major complaints, rallies for change, etc. I can’t help but think this is all part of a plan for single governance for Greater Vernon. And that Vernon is the big push behind this.

It makes sense why Vernon would want to see the status quo re-examined, because ultimately, the city would like to take over a majority of the surrounding lands (check out the Official Community Plan boundary extensions).

It wasn’t that long ago that Vernon consumed the Okanagan Landing area – formerly known as Area A. Now if you follow the alphabet, what comes after A?

OK, now look at what the electoral areas are.

BX Swan Lake – Area B

BX Silver Star – Area C

After A, comes B and C....get my drift.

But that’s just my own theory.

The fact is there could be a lot of benefits for the electoral areas becoming part of Vernon. So joining Vernon or changing governance isn’t my main concern here.

What concerns me is Vernon’s reputation for dealing with annexation.

Alan Hill, the former Area A director, spelled it out nicely to BX residents Tuesday that the city cannot be trusted.

Just one example is how residents were promised free sewer. Instead, Hill’s sewer connection costs were just shy of $20,000.

All the broken promises he alluded to leave me with little trust that Vernon would keep any promises to anyone else (hint, hint B and C).

It’s a sad day when someone’s promises can’t be trusted. Instead the only thing we can trust are bylaws, and possibly something referred to as ‘letters patent.’

And for those of us who love the rural atmosphere, larger lot sizes and not living next to large developments and commercial spaces, Hill reminds us that the beauty of the Landing has been destroyed since being consumed by the city.

So now, we electoral area residents are being asked to re-examine our governance options. Do we want the status quo, to form our own municipality individually or with another electoral area, or to amalgamate with the city?

Personally, I once again go back to the old saying: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

But that's just my theory, the decision will be up to you.

I'm just throwing out some food for thought, hoping you will chew on it for a bit.

***************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.