Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Readers write.

Dear Readers,

My name is Maria Besso and I am one of the candidates running for Coldstream Council in the upcoming Nov. 15th, 2008 municipal election. I am very familiar with the problems being experienced in the Kalavista neighborhood at the head of Kalamalka Lake. I believe these problems are symptomatic of much greater issues and need some large scale solutions, not just quick fixes.

As a result of my personal involvement with a proposed Kayak and Canoe Club , Society for the Protection of Kalamalka Lake and the earlier parking expansion, I have experienced first hand the divisive results of lack of openness and planning, and the resulting feelings of mistrust ( that are historically well founded in the area). In fact, some of the lessons I have learned from this experience and discussion with the residents have helped me to formulate my platform.

My platform is:

I would like to see honest and transparent government in Coldstream, that answers to the public, and acts in the best interest of Coldstream residents, at all times.

and, that in my opinion, the three biggest challenges for Council are :

a) Lack of openness & democracy

b) Lack of planning

c) Confusion on governance issues

Please see my website at www.besso.ca and click on 'Election Issues' for more detail on the issues.

The problems in the Kalavista area touch on the three items above, but particularly, b) Lack of planning, and c) Confusion on governance issues.

It was obvious from the reaction to the Traffic Safety Committee recommendations and the meeting with area residents on October the 15th, 2008, that this is far greater than a traffic safety issue. I believe that the Traffic Safety Committee should refer the problem back to Council and suggest that their band-aide solution will not resolve the underlying problems. Allow me to borrow from Bjorn Edblad "...it is like giving an aspirin to someone for their headache, when the real cause of the headache is a brain tumor, the aspirin might give you some temporary relief, but left untreated & undiagnosed the brain tumor will kill you."

What we need to do is follow the Official Community Plan, not circumvent it using confusion on governance as an excuse. I would like to see a review of the OCP that deals with the development of a specific neighborhood plan for the Kalavista neighborhood and the head of Kalamalka Lake ( even if the land is owned by Vernon, or GVS, the zoning is controlled by Coldstream). We should be proactive and visionary, not reactionary to the plans of others. I know that OCP reviews are expensive, so I would not like to see the work contracted out to a consultant as the initial step (that may follow). Initially, I would want the immediate neighbors brought together with staff, and some council members, to be meaningfully consulted and shape a vision for the head of Kal Lake.

On my web page I have identified four areas where I think we need specific neighborhood plans. As you are aware, I am not on Council now and I would need to have all the information first ( cost, work to date, etc) before proceeding.

Thank you to the writer of the letter regarding the Kalavista neighborhood for asking the candidates to clarify their positions on this issue, I hope I have answered your concerns sufficiently well. I could go on to many other things but I think if we start with openness and honesty perhaps we will diagnose the real problem and save the patient.

Sincerely yours,
Maria Besso

***************************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.