Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Readers write -- Lack of sprinklers in the new fire hall questioned.

On October 14th, 2008, at a public meeting of Coldstream Council, I raised the question about the lack of sprinklers in the new fire hall for two reasons:

1. Incidents which happened in the fire hall.
2 The fact that the fire department had raised the issue back in January.

I asked the direct question: Was this a budget cut?" Answer: "No, the sprinklers are not required."

On October 19th (The Morning Star) Glen Taylor admits that it was, in fact, a budget cut and goes on to say that the sprinkler system can be put in at a later date.

It is a fact that a sprinkler system can be installed cheaper during construction than after the building is completed. Having done some research, the true cost of the system is closer to $40,000 than the $70,000 quoted.

I find that this Council approved the spending of the landscaping around the new fire hall and the construction presently being done to the old fire hall to be a higher priority than spending the $40,000 on a 2.8 million fire hall for a sprinkler system for safety reasons totally unacceptable.

Mr Taylor, why did you tell me it was not a budget cut in a public meeting and then say the exact opposite to the press when you were interviewed? Where is the accountability?

Sincerely

John Hegler.

*********************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.