Monday, October 13, 2008

Readers write.

In just a little over two weeks, the glass plant will close for good. In that time, we, the employees, have had to deal with a lot of issues. The one thing that has been particularly frustrating and shocking for most of us, is the total lack of anything resembling support from our MP, MLA and even local Mayors who have done little more than comment to the press. I wanted to inform your readers that at Saturday's candidates forum at the Performing Arts Centre, I managed to finally ask Colin Mayes why he has not as much as commented on the closure let alone offer any kind of assistance. I was disappointed at the poor turnout considering the rapidly deteriorating state of affairs of this nation. Not surprisingly, he gave a total non-response and blathered on about conservative investment in infrastructure and retraining, offering nothing meaningful that would address our concerns. He was noticably embarrassed and went into immediate damage control, but, it became all about him looking stupid (which in my opinion, is not a difficult task when he strays from the conservative message). Not even so much as an apology as to not even recognized this monstrous problem. The only regret I have, is not doing this sooner in the campaign and having the media report on his total indifference to the biggest economic blow the North Okanagan has ever been faced with. This could have been, and most certainly should have been an important election issue as large manufacturing companies pull up stakes all across Canada. As I look around at all the blue signs bearing this man's name in the North Okanagan there is little doubt that he will once again be our MP. But, he has failed a significant part of this region so badly, that he ought to resign in total shame. Anyone thinking of voting for this character ought to think again, because he has only his own interests in mind and has no idea the economic hardship his constituency is about to face.
Sincerely,
Tim Werry

**********************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.