Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Readers write -- Are Coldstreamers Politically Conservative?

Some of you may have already surmised that I have begun to lay the groundwork on the Coldstreamer blog for my candidacy in the upcoming municipal elections.

My blog submissions are an attempt to raise the level of political awareness of the community of the Coldstreamer blog followers. I suspect that community of blog devotees is rather small relative to the rest of Coldstream's population and so my efforts should have a minimal impact as events unfold. Nevertheless, it is my preferred mode of campaigning ,as I try and reach out to those in the community who are savvy to this new tool of open democratic engagement and influence. As a former educator I feel compelled to try to educate the blog readership, in as much as I am able to do so, by applying my self tutelage in political matters ,acquired over a long period of time, to our current political circumstances.

Much of the blog addresses itself to critical commentary, largely provided by Gyula Kiss, to events in the community and articles in the Morningstar advertiser. So in effect, the blog acts as a counterpoise to the political biases of the corporate press and the entrenched political establishment in greater Vernon.

We are thankful to Gyula Kiss for providing this important medium of dissent and public engagement. I can't help but notice that there are very few active participants among the blog readership. This is a pity. No doubt most readers lack the confidence of their convictions to 'speak out' publicly through this electronic medium. Perhaps some lack confidence in their literary skills or are fearful of social sanction if they express contradictory views to an anonymous readership.

By simply looking at the activity on the Coldstreamer blog I can say quite confidently that Coldstreamers are overwhelmingly conservative. This is also supported by those they choose to place into office in past elections, longtime residents with well established connections within the community. So it shouldn't be too surprising if I were to predict a similar outcome in the next election. The best we might hope for is that a few [1-2] newcomers, wishing to offer their services to the community, might be given a chance to make a contribution and are elected to council. I am not going to hold my breath in anticipation and I certainly don't expect it to be me as I am a self-styled reformer. Nevertheless as I have been willing to 'talk the talk' [speak my mind] I feel obliged to also 'walk the walk' or 'to put my money where my mouth is', as they say. I would however be very disappointed with our electorate if they chose not to elect Gyula Kiss to council. I can't think of a more deserving and more qualified candidate. It goes without saying but I will say it again, Coldstream very much needs the continued support of councillors Jim Garlick and Bill Firman and we hope they will consent to run for reelection. I would also like to lend support to Maria Besso , a very promising prospective candidate, who would be a great asset to Coldstream council.

Peter Peto

*********************************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Peter. I'm looking foprward to the whole new crew.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.