Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Readers write -- Councillor Taylor responds.


To Ms. Kitcher

I am responding to your comments that I have a vendetta against firemen. Not sure where you're getting your information but it's the farthest from the truth. I served in the department for 13 years and loved every minute of it.

During the last six years on council I have been supportive with the department in all aspects of operation. Without the fire departments knowledge I convinced council to increase the Halloween fireworks contribution from $250 to $1000 each year which in still in place today.

I supported the conversion for the scba's Self Contained Breathing Apperatice from 2.2's to 4.5's, I believe the cost was about $80,000. I supported the acquisition of the new fire trucks. $400,000+ dollars I supported hiring a part time office assistant to help with the amount of paper work but could not get consensuses from both halls. I convinced council that the referendum amount was not enough and had it raised to 4,000,000 for the construction of the two halls.

I chaired the committee for the construction of the two halls. Every square foot that was requested by the Coldstream Fire Department was built. Some amenities were changed in order to come in on budget.

Lavington's initial fire hall expansion was only going to be an addition. With discussions between the Architect and council it was decided not do an ad on but to tear it down and rebuild which I supported.

You're comments are unfounded and I would be happy to sit down with you anytime and discuss issues about the department. (Except Personnel matters) Before you are so quick to criticize you should really get both sides of the story. If I had a vendetta I could have made it a lot more difficult , whereas infact I have supported the department in every aspect. I understand the operations of both fire departments as well as the firemen as I was there for so many years. I also understand the loyalty and emotion that the firemen are feeling, and will work with them to resolve their issues.

Regards
Glen Taylor
Councillor, District of Coldstream


*******************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.