Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Readers write -- Candidate withdraws

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,my name is Peter Peto, I am a retired mineral exploration geologist and a former Okanagan College earth science lecturer. I have lived in Naramata, Penticton and Summerland before moving to 'the Coldstream' in 2001. In my opinion the quality of life in the Coldstream has been greatly diminished by excessive development and urbanization under the past two councils. The proposed sports complex to be sited on the Spicer block became the final straw for me and I began to voice my opposition against the present council by writing letters to the Morningstar and to the Coldstreamernews Blog. I also joined and supported the Coldstream Ratepayers Association, an active opposition group dedicated to the promotion of good governance. I would like to thank the Ratepayers Association for organizing and sponsoring this candidates forum.


During the years I lived in Coldstream I got the distinct impression Coldstream was being run by the Vernon Chamber of Commerce and by Wendy Kay and her bloated bureaucracy. In my opinion the last two councils were merely empty “rubber stamping” formalities. I would like to see the next mayor and council canvass public opinion on the issues of most concern to them and then take charge of doing what's good for the Coldstream. I am heartened by the number and quality of the candidates who have stepped forward and offered to serve the community. The incumbents will stand or fall on the basis of their actions on council and it my fervent wish that those newly elected will serve the public interest , preserve, protect and conserve the Coldstream from excessive encroachment by rapacious business interests or a corporate takeover by Vernon.


I strongly sense that the electorate is ready to discard the old model of local governance as practiced by the Postill and Corner administrations and choose a more open and transparent mayor and council that will uphold the traditional values of the Coldstream against urban development from within and without the district. If that should happen I would have little more to complain about as the district would be in safe hands. Last night Mr Garlick mentioned some names of candidates he would like to serve with and the electorate should make note of those people. I no longer feel the need to run for council and withdraw my name from the candidates list.

Peter Peto

21 October 2008

************************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter, you are a man of honour. My gut tells me that you would have stood for a position on Council had there been just a few candidates in the running. I too, believe that there are lots of excellent candidates vying for seats. Democracy is alive in Coldstream!
You are certainly not afraid to speak your thoughts and you were right up front with your stance on numerous issues.

I thank you for your input and wish you all the best. Most of all, please stay involved and I'm sure you will.

Leo Lecavalier

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.