Saturday, October 25, 2008

Election 2008 -- Readers write -- Mayoralty candidate writes

Hello.

My name is Jim Garlick and I would to ask for your support in becoming the mayor of Coldstream and Lavington in the upcoming November 15th election.

My brochure outlines all of the points that I believe in, but here I would like to take the time to expand on one of these that I hold dear.

During this next term of office, we will most likely see a review of our Official Community Plan. If I am elected mayor, I will push for thoughtful long-term planning for future development with community involvement. We often hear that official community plans are living documents and last only as long as the council of the day. I have taken this on as a challenge to try and come up with ways to entrench a community plan not in the paper it is written on, but in the residents of the community itself. I believe that a community that takes part on mass to develop their community plan, is aware of the details contained in their community plan, and reaps the benefits of following their community plan, will then take ownership of their community plan and will fight to keep their community plan and thereby their community.

I see the process in developing a community plan as being as important as the plan itself. I look to the city of Nelson to developing our next community plan in neighbourhoods rather than as one large plan many find difficult to grasp and few take little ownership of. I look to the community of Uculet where small neighbourhood gatherings were used to work on their plan, so that questions, answers, and ideas were easily exchanged. Uculet also developed a plan that has reaped benefits from development. That community managed to collect 11 million dollars in amenities over 3 years from development. I look to Okotoks, Alberta where they faced up to reality, determined that their limiting resource for development was water supply. They then took steps to plan future development on the basis of what they could sustain.

I encourage such a process in Coldstream to review our community plan, to educate and include many of our new residents, to empower and engage all of our residents, and most importantly, to rebuild our sense of community, which I feel we are losing.

Please vote me, and a like-minded strong council on November 15th to move towards this goal.

*************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.