Monday, October 20, 2008

Readers write -- Kalavista residents' concerns

Open letter to prospective councillors:

I am a local resident living in the Kalavista boat launch area adjacent to the Kalavista Lagoon. I have lived in this area for many years quite happily. Until the last 3 years I have never felt any need to involve myself in local politics fully trusting in our elected representatives (Council) to serve the interests of Coldstream and it's diverse neighbourhoods both old and emerging.- whether urban or rural. Unhappily, I no longer feel that I, or my neighbours can remain unengaged in the face of ever increasing challenges to the peace and safety of our area, the peaceful enjoyment of our properties & homes, our streets, local amenities etc. There are many problems facing my neighbourhood and perhaps other neighbourhoods as well. My neighbourhood whose local streets include Kalavista , Tebo and Postill drives views itself as being increasingly under siege for several summer weeks each year. Amongst the issues negatively impacting upon this area are Traffic & Safety concerns, Boat launch over utilization, threats to a small but magnificent and bio diverse ecosystem (lagoon), lawlessness, noise, litter and the absence of policing. In coming to terms with these increasingly severe problems, residents have been repeatedly frustrated by what can only be termed "balkanization" of responsibilities, authority and accountability. GVS and the GVSC are are viewed by many as being insensitive to, if not outright contemptuous of, this neighbourhood and it's residents. The District administration and the current council are viewed by many in a similar light. In this context, we consider the upcoming District election to be of extreme importance, probably as never before, not only to our local area but also to the quality of life within all Coldstream neighbourhoods and Coldstream as a whole. Within this neighbourhood I believe it is accurate to state that no councillor's seat is safe and name recognition will not be sufficient to secure votes. I do not believe that the residents of my particular neighbourhood will be inclined to vote for anyone who has not clearly stated his/her positions with respect to the issues of the day, Coldstream's place within N.O.R.D., the powers which have been devolved to GVS, adherence to the District's OCP, accountability issues etc. I believe that fellow Coldstreamers, living in other neighbourhoods experience similar frustrations and feelings of powerlessness. On behalf of my own neighbourhood and on behalf of all of Coldstream's neighbourhoods I request that each candidate for Council clearly publish a clear statement of what you stand for, hope to achieve as a Coldstream councillor should you be elected so that we, the electors collectively or individually, may make informed choices in the upcoming election.

*******************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.