Friday, October 24, 2008

Election 2008 -- Readers write.

I think it's appropriate for me to ask for some improvements in the last All Candidate Forum on 3 November. I have a few suggests to make which you might consider implementing.

First: That kitchen alarm bell after 2 or 3 minutes is very irritating to me and the other candidates especially if it goes off prematurely [by accident]! This is reasonable considering you have allowed a lot of blab time, without any time restrictions, to any candidate who wants to comment on questions from the audience. So why don't you let each candidate to finally complete their spiel. Signal them gently with a warning if they get too wordy, digress or get enamored with their speech making. I feel other candidates are also frustrated and annoyed with the CRA over this.

Second: on that point insist that the questioner direct their question to a specific person or persons, not to every candidate. Perhaps Steve you could take note who is not being asked a question and ask if anyone in the audience would like to ask that particular person a question to get them involved.

Third: Tell the ramblers and grand standers to get to the point and move on.

Fourth: Let candidates to pose a question to other candidates. This can be very revealing and interesting to the audience.

Fifth: You might ask the audience to write down suggestions as to how the forums could be improved in future.

Let's see if we make the last one more entertaining ,err, informative, and make a point to invite the media so it reaches a wider audience.

Just some thoughts for improvement you might consider. Otherwise you are both doing a great service and a great job.

Pete Peto

********************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.