Saturday, November 1, 2008

Readers write -- Once more from Peter Peto.

I am taking exception with Jenny Smith's portrayal of me in her piece entitled 'Duo hope for Coldstream Seats', published in the Morningstar[Wednesday,29 October, page A22]. When contrasted with Clair Methot, an ardent assimilationist, who extols the virtues of 'common sense' and the wisdom of incorporating the Coldstream into Vernon, I was left with the impression I am not a serious candidate for councilor. Well I am very serious about my candidacy so let me spell out my agenda in very simple straight forward language. There are two ways of stating a position, affirmatively by advancing laudable goals or negatively by saying what you are against. If you are against something one can also deduce from the negation the underlying affirmation.


My AGENDA AS COUNCILOR for COLDSTREAM

1.Put in place a three year moratorium on new property developments.

2.Politely show land speculators and sub dividers the door.

3.Down size city hall to essential services

4. Fire Wendy Kay

5.Reinstate the fire chief

6.Freeze or lower taxes

7. Withdraw Coldstream from the greater Vernon Advisory Committee.

8.Turn the Kalavista Boat parking lot into a park and/or restrict the parking, by permit, to Coldstream residents only.

9.Double the taxes on absentee land owners of lake front property.

10.Undertake whatever actions are necessary to reclaim the costs from the developer of putting in the sewer into Coldstream Meadows.

11. Undertake to investigate any financial irregularities or conflict of interest by past councilors over the last 6 years.

12 Act as watch dog over Glen Taylor if he is elected mayor.

13. Protect Agricultural Lands and support Coldstream agriculture.

14. Investigate what can be done to give the Lavington glass plant a new lease on life or find another clean industrial use for the property.

15. See what can be done to clean up Coldstream Creek and the north end of Kalamalka Lake.

16. Implement whatever "Green" Policies may be appropriate for Coldstream.

These are a blunter restatement of my 'vision' for the Coldstream published earlier in this blog. Now does this sound like I am joking?

Peter Peto
******************************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome Peter, and I couldn't agree more. All the Best. You deserve a seat on council.
Tim Werry

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.