Friday, November 14, 2008

Candidate pledges management changes -- and the candidate's response!

By Peter McIntyre

Heads could roll at the District of Coldstream's office if Jim Garlick becomes the new mayor.

Garlick told KISS FM's open line show, he would consider a management restructuring.

"What you do is start your council in a direction, and if your staff joins in and goes along with you, then they're part of your staff and part of your team. If you have staff that you end up battling all the time, then you're probably better off to replace those members."

The other mayoralty candidate, Glen Taylor, doesn't have a problem with the staff.

"I think we've got a great staff. We've been building that team for a number of years now and we've been working well with developers and we've been able to get them to work towards a greener community."

Garlick also says, if elected, he would support the reinstatement of fired fire chief Leo Lecavalier.

"What I'd like to see is a process to reinstate Leo back into the fire hall. I think that was a mistake removing him from the fire hall as a fireman. That whole process could have been managed much better."

Taylor says its not appropriate to comment on the issue.

"It's a personnel matter and by provincial legislation, we're not allowed to talk about it. It was a council decision and that decision was to remove the fire chief. There were underlying issues that lead to it."

Garlick is ruling out speculation he's running for office with a slate of candidates.

He admits he has asked certain people to run, but it's not a slate, and he's no longer a member of the Coldstream Ratepayers Association.

Taylor says Garlick's endorsement of several candidates sounds like a slate to him.

(Nov 13, 2008)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Garlick responds!

Hello Mr McIntyre (107.5 KISS FM)

Firstly, I would like to thank you for hosting the open-line show yesterday, Wednesday, Nov. 12.

I would however like to say that I read the article on the KISS FM website today with a little concern. I have no problem with the quotes in the article but take issue with your interpretation of my statements contained in the headline (Candidate pledges management changes) and opening line (Heads could roll at the District of Coldstream's office if Jim Garlick becomes the new mayor). Your interpretation I take it was from my statement:

"What you do is start your council in a direction, and if your staff joins in and goes along with you, then they're part of your staff and part of your team. If you have staff that you end up battling all the time, then you're probably better off to replace those members."

Your interpretations are great headline attention grabbers but go a little too far in the artistic license used to create them. I would hope that your radio station sees itself as giving unbiased facts to the public. I will go on record to pledge to look carefully at all district staffing levels and services as it is prudent in these economic times and with every new council. Unfortunately our current council did not go through such a process. I feel this knowledge would have been very beneficial in our decision-making processes for budgets during this term.

With regard to staff dismissal, as in any organization, the decision is made through a process of documenting in writing any incidences in which an employee does not meet the standards set by council and contained in contract or like documents. I would say that a staff member not carrying out council's direction would be an example of such an incidence. If this was an ongoing problem, staff could be dismissed with or without cause as decided by council. Notice that I believe that documented proof is required to present to all of council to carry out such an decision and is not taken lightly.

If you are saying that if elected, I am pledging that I will move to change how the District of Coldstream will be managed you are correct, but with your comment of "Heads could roll..." I doubt that was your intent.

Please contact me if you need clarification.

Thanks

Jim Garlick

Councillor

District of Coldstream

9901 Kalamalka Road, Coldstream, BC V1B 1L6

Email jimgarlick@msn.com


****************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.