Saturday, September 6, 2008

Readers write -- Troubling experience......

Good Afternoon Coldstreamer,
Wanted to pass along a particularly troubling experience I had on Thursday. As you know, the area will lose a vital employer October 31st, Owens-Illinois, glass manufacturer. I've worked there for a number of years and the condition of Hill Drive has caused numerous problems due to its ongoing poor condition. I can probably count on one hand the number of shovel fulls of asphalt that have been used to fill the many potholes in the last decade or so. Now, 60 days before the plant closes, the District decides to repair the road. I can't describe to you the fury of anger that came over me as I read the notice of the road's closure for re-surfacing less than 24 hours before work started. How insulting I thought to myself. Years of putting up with a sub-standard road, used by the district's largest employer, while council decides that its priority is to install speed bumps on Westkal Road.

I sent an email to Wendy Kay to express my utter disgust at this project occurring at this time and asked her to cancel it until the plant was closed and was no longer an inconvience to this district. She replied that the road had not been a priority with council until this year. What a complete crock. I have a hard time believing that the road repair is being carried out due to an anticipated disappearance of traffic on the road. In my view, the plant has been treated poorly by Kay and her administration for so long. Her response was that the district may be sued by the contractor if it was cancelled. My reply to her was that the impending hardship and loss of a $20 million dollar payroll made her short sighted lawsuit fears pale in comparison. I am still in utter dismay at the timliness of this road repair, irregardless if it was planned prior to the closure. It is a huge insult to the 300 people about to hit the unemployment line, an event that is largely due to a government (Stephen Harper's Reformers) that has allowed American corporations to destroy our manufacturing base with a response of oh well, too bad that's "just business".

As you can tell, this stupidity on behalf of the district of Coldstream has added a level of disgust to an already disgusting situation (Lavington plant closure).

Sincerely,
Tim Werry

***********************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.