Sunday, September 28, 2008

Readers write -- My Apologies to Those I Have Offended

As you may have noticed by now I have run a series of 'Attack Ads' on this blog in which I have heaped much opprobrium on Coldstream councilors for decisions and actions they have taken and to which I have taken great exception. I felt compelled to broadcast these objections to the blog readership with the hope of bringing the contested issues to public awareness and to finger those responsible for making objectionable decisions. In my attempt to bring those responsible to account I was pitiless with the scorn I heaped upon those with whom I disagreed. My intention of course was to bring as much discredit to the persons involved as possible in the public mind. I questioned the motivations and character of some our decision makers in a most disagreeable manner but without intention of personal malaise.

Truth be told, I have never meet or even known these councilors so my objections were never intended to be of a personal nature. For all I know they are probably wonderful, dedicated and well intentioned people. I don't doubt they had the best of intentions within the constraints of their own personal limitations. Of course every politician knows they run the risk of being personally attacked for decisions and actions they have taken, it comes with the job and it requires a thick skin to carry on. Many say it's a thankless job and most are wise to avoid taking on such a responsible but vulnerable position.

However, every good citizen in a democracy has a responsibility to contribute in some way to self governance. It should not fall to a few dedicated citizens to continuously offer their services to the governing of the community. We should see able new faces come forward to serve in local government each and every term. We also owe a debt of thanks to those who service regardless of how popular or unpopular their services might have been. So I offer my thanks to those who served on council most recently and my sincere apologies for any personal offense they may may taken from any disagreeable comments I made on this blog.

Peter Peto

**********************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.