Friday, August 29, 2008

Brief biography of Steve Heeren, new President of the Coldstream Ratepayers Association.

I was born and raised in the United States and first came to Canada in 1961 to obtain a Master's degree in Psychology. I returned to the United States to earn a Ph.D. (again in psychology) and became a permanent resident (and later - citizen) of Canada in 1968 when I began my teaching career at the University of Regina. After 27 years of university teaching, I took early retirement and moved to Coldstream, owning a residence here since 1991 and taking up permanent residence myself in 1995.

In the late 1990s I served a two-year term on the Advisory Planning Committee of the District of Coldstream. I also attended public meetings (for example, one organized by Urban Systems Ltd. of Kelowna) which were concerned with the future of Coldstream and the underlying issue, as many members of the public saw it, of unhampered development here.

When the issue of a sports complex on Aberdeen Road was being proposed, I realized that I needed to take a more active role in protecting the quality of life that so many of us enjoy. "Nulli secundus." It was at that point that I joined the Coldstream Ratepayers Association, which is the only grass-roots organization trying to give voice to issues that concern the public. I'm looking forward to doing my utmost to protect a way of life which could easily disappear unless we are vigilant. I was elected President of CRA at our meeting of August 21, 2008.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's welcome the new president of the Coldstream Ratepayers Association and wish him much success during his term as President!

*****************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.