Friday, August 29, 2008

Are we living in a democracy in Coldstream?

A Coldstream taxpayer informed me that he was refused the right to be included in the agenda of the next Council meeting so he could address Council on the issue of the dismissal of the fire chief. This presentation has nothing to do with the presentation planned by the president of the Coldstream Ratepayers Association.

The action of the Mayor and Administration who are responsible for the preparation of the agenda is quite disturbing. It follows the rejection of my request to address Council regarding the request for the appearance of the Auditor for questioning.

The taxpayer in question did not attend the in-camera meeting where the dismissal of the chief was debated. He has every right to express his opinion on the matter and Council can just ignore his presentation as they often do with presentations with which they feel uncomfortable.

It appears this Council is getting more autocratic by the day and this is quite disturbing in a democratic society.

*************************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.