Monday, March 31, 2008

Tax reduction -- Hallelujah.

They have done it!!! Following a debate that lasted an hour and a half Council agreed to a tax increase of 6.95%. That is reduced from the initial proposed increase of 9.17%.

There was much debate on what to do with the sizable surplus Coldstream amassed during 2007. Some Councillors actually proposed an increase of only 5.95% but they were in the minority.

It was interesting to listen to Councillor Malerby passionately embracing the lower tax rate of 5.95%. It was in sharp contrast with her earlier but equally passionate defense of the 9.17% increase.

Perhaps the most interesting comments came from Councillor Williams who maintained that she could not accept a reduction of services in "her community". She seems to forget that she no longer is a member of this community since she moved out of Coldstream nearly a year ago.

Anyway, I think Council deserves credit for revisiting the issue and reducing the tax increase to a level more in line with other communities.








***********************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.