Sunday, March 30, 2008

Farmers fired up over burning bylaw -- by Jennifer Smith

New burning bylaws that have popped up in the midst of pruning season are heating up debate in Coldstream.

“This burning bylaw kind of snuck up on us, we had no notification or inkling this was coming,” said Ron Miciuk, who runs a nursery, orchards and bee hives on 4.25 acres on Kalamalka Road.

Under the new rules, properties such as Miciuk’s that are under two hectares cannot receive a burning permit. Permits are also only issued once a year, in the spring, compared to the old option where burning was also allowed in the fall. This decision was made due to traditionally poor venting in the fall.

While Miciuk, along with two other property owners, was granted a special burning permit, he says the new rules are unfair to those trying to sustain farming operations.

“I think about 90 properties are affected by this,” said Miciuk.

Their alternative to burning is to now haul prunings to the landfill or chip.

“In 2002 I chipped and it cost me $700, in 2004 I chipped and it cost me $800, the following year I chipped and it cost me $1,000,” said Miciuk of the costly alternative, while pointing out that the district does not even chip its waste.

“I think if you want people to quit burning you have to offer some kind of incentive,” he said, suggesting cost savings to chip.

Miciuk noted that there are times when burning is necessary to rid trees of diseases such as sour sap.

For Helmi Lowen, who owns 3.58 acres with her husband on Venables Drive, burning is also a better option. The Lowens bought their property three years ago and have been trying to clean it up. Initially they started hauling to the dump, but soon found burning was a more viable option.

“The first year we made about 20 trips to the landfill and if that isn’t pollution...I think it’s much more pollution than burning one time,” she said, adding: “My husband is 75-years-old and for him to haul that all to the dump is a big job.”

Irene DeLeenheer agrees that if done right, burning is a more environmentally-friendly option.

“I don’t understand the difference between chopping it up and taking it to the landfill than burning it in a good hot fire.”

While Coldstream was blamed for springing this bylaw on residents, Coun. Mary Malerby defended the district.

“We did go through the process. We did have a public meeting, we had advertisements in the newspaper,” said Malerby. “Ignorance isn’t always bliss.”

Further special burning permits may be issued, but they are at the consideration of council.

Public suggestions are also being taken to possibly change the current April burning period to a better time.

*************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.