Friday, November 2, 2007

Readers Write

To Mayor and Council
District of Coldstream

I cannot believe that I actually have to sit down and write this letter. I am deeply concerned about the process of how and why you are putting the citizens of Coldstream and Vernon in a position which will turn neighbors and citizens against each other.

Let me put it this way: both my husband and I attended the public hearing and we listened to the numerous presentations from the concerned citizens. Many spoke for us and we agreed completely with them. Then Council voted and the vote was not to proceed with going any further with this. We all felt a great relief, but here we go again.

We came to Coldstream 10 years ago. We chose Coldstream because of the Rural Living at its best motto. We truly liked what we saw and we decided to purchase a small acreage in Coldstream and raise beef and chickens.

Having lived in Vancouver very close to the Nat Bailey Stadium, we know first hand what it means to be in close proximity to sports fields and to Rock Concerts. The playing of the baseball did not bother us at all; in fact, it was nice to hear young people having fun. However, listening to Rock Concerts and their extremely loud music as well as light pollution, was not appreciated at all. On Friday and Saturday nights when these concerts were in progress, you wished you were not in your house, the noise level was extra-ordinary. Now, imagine, Rock concerts and other concerts close by to our neighborhood and I would truly feel sorry for all of us who live in Coldstream. We are not against sport fields, but please have a look at the existing sport fields, especially the one at Coldstream Creek Park where most of the time nobody is playing or using the fields. There are numerous other sport fields in the Vernon/Coldstream area. These fields could be utilized better to make sure that the sports people really are playing there.

I plead with you, Dear Council members, reconsider this application, look at more options and take your time in making your recommendation in a fashion that will benefit us all.

Another concern that has not really been talked about is the monetary concern. Can you tell all the citizens how much more property taxes we will have to pay in the future for such a huge undertaking? What is the actual cost for this property and what is the cost to build the sport fields, etc.

Please, let me remind you again that you should live according to what is being preached:

COLDSTREAM, RURAL LIVING AT ITS BEST!

Thank you

L. Senn

*****************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.