Thursday, October 17, 2013

RDNO sentencing delay - Castanet News

Vernon Judge Mayland McKimm held off on his sentencing of the Regional District of the North Okanagan Wednesday afternoon because of something he heard in the media.

The RDNO is awaiting to hear what financial penalty it will face after being found guilty of failing to provide potable water, allowing contamination of drinking water, introducing foreign matter into a well and operating a well in a manner to cause adverse impact in connection with the contamination of the Antwerp Springs water source in January 2010.

McKimm is frustrated and insulted by numerous media reports that suggest the RDNO does not take responsibility for its actions and continues to claim innocence in the case despite the guilty verdict.
The District of Coldstream has also maintained its innocence in the matter despite the fact it plead guilty to the charges.

In particular, McKimm says comments by RDNO Board Chair, Patrick Nichol in many media publications as well as the one he heard on the radio while driving home just two days after he gave the guilty verdict,  left him unsettled.

McKimm says Nicol and the RDNO continue to claim they have done nothing wrong and that they have somehow been disserved by the justice system.

“The comments I heard that day showed a contemptuous attitude towards the findings of the court and more importantly it may well reflect the motivations of the RDNO. This, along with a number of comments made during the trial about the district's sincere concern with respect to providing the district clean water shows a complete indifference from the district,” said McKimm.

"If I made a comment regarding our lack of responsibility in the case (which I don't know if I did entirely), I don't think that would be too unreasonable given were in a position of defense," claimed Patrick Nicol (more)

****************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.