Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Why I voted against the Ironman submission.

Last night's Special Council Meeting City of Vernon representatives asked for Coldstream's  "Support for the City of Vernon's Bid to Host the Ironman Canada Event".

The City asked for a recommendation as follows:

"Recommendation

THAT the District of Coldstream supports, in principle, the City of Vernon's bid submission to host the Ironman Canada event;

AND THAT should the bid submission be successful, the District of Coldstream commits to assist with the costs and logistics involved with those portions of the swimming, cycling or running routes that are within Coldstream's jurisdiction.

My question was: "To what financial commitments would Coldstream be subjected?" The response was "We have a confidentiality clause attached to the agreement."

I could not commit Coldstream taxpayers to an agreement of unknown financial commitments, hence I voted against the final motion that would send a letter of support in principle to the City. In my opinion it is hard to support an event in principle and not come through with financial obligation if the event is approved.  Up to 89% of Coldstream's taxes are paid by homeowners.

Gyula

For further information visit Ironman

*******************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Gyula

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.