Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fairness in garbage!





My comments on the above news item elicited vigorous debate (see debate). It is worth to elaborate on the subject because the principles I tried to elucidate are valid not only for compulsory garbage collection but for other local government services as well.

Mandatory garbage collection, the way it is implemented in the city of Vernon, is basically a parcel tax. Each household pays $22.12 a quarter ($96.48 per year) and for this they can have up to two bags disposed every week. Theoretically speaking a high user may contribute up to 104 bags per year for a per bag fee of $0.92 while a conscientious low user who disposes a bag a month might pay $8.00 per bag. Not a fair arrangement. This is why I am against compulsory garbage collection as it is proposed by NORD.

A fair system would be to pay perhaps 20% of the total collection costs via access fee and the difference by tag fee. This would be fair as it would make those users who use the service more, contribute more to the total cost and would also encourage customers to reduce their garbage output.

Similar considerations motivate me for trying to improve sewer fees and water rates. I just need public support for my efforts.

Our current sewer and water fees are worth reviewing and I will attempt to do just that in a future article.

I would appreciate all comments, anonymous or direct, from all readers. If you wish to stay anonymous, click on the “comments” at the bottom of the article and follow the instructions (select Anonymous”from the choices) . The comments come through Google without revealing the identity of the commentator. You can also send me comments through email, address is at the top of the page.

**************************************************************

2 comments:

VernonResident said...

Coldstreamer, your 20% solution might be slightly "fairer", but is still not a true USER PAY system. But I applaud you, because at least your proposal would allow the Municipality of Coldstream to contribute its "fairer" share to funding our present regional waste management operations and future obligations.

As a resident of a municipality that contributes its share to our regional waste management facilities, I heartily welcome Coldstream's contribution to this valuable regional program.

To be sure, there is more to this debate than just what it costs you per bag.

Anonymous said...

2 points to consider:

1. We'd have to make sure that any new system implemented would still cover the costs of garbage pickup.

2. Would we have a problem with people dumping their trash illegally, if it saves them some money?

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.