Friday, August 7, 2009

Selected articles -- Morning Star news -- August 7, 2009


--------------------------------------------------------



While I accept Council's decision to write to the Minister of Forests regarding the closure of Kal Lake Park I wish to register my own concerns regarding the issues.

In my opinion, closure of the park will keep out law abiding citizens least likely to ignore safety precautions and least likely to cause fires. Party goers who tare down park infrastructures and use it for bonfire wood will likely find ways to enter the park illegally. People driving in on Cosens Bay road will also be entering the park their vehicles creating potential fire hazard. Dirt bikers have often been observed on park trails and they will likely continue this illegal activity. Pleasure boats frequenting Cosens Bay will likely continue the practice.

Regular park visitors would act as eyes and ears observing and reporting fires could actually be of benefit in protecting the park from major fires.


The other issue refers to second guessing decisions made by park and Forest Service officials. Registered Professional Foresters making decisions must follow procedures and are responsible for their decisions. A request to the Minister of Forests, who is not an expert, to over rule his experts puts him in a difficult and unenviable position.

A better solution for the problem would be for the Friends of Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park would be to organize patrol groups who would keep patrolling the park and instantly report fires and unwanted activities in the park. That would be pro-active and on-hand approach to protecting the park. The action taken by the Forest Service and our own Fire Department demonstrated that they are capable of protecting our park. Giving them a helping hand instead of reducing our vigilance would be contra productive.

The foregoing discussion was to illustrate my reasoning for keeping the park open. Obviously, other people have their own reasons for their own views which I respect.


**********************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.