Sunday, May 17, 2009

Selected articles, Morning Star -- May 17, 2009



Interesting view from the Editorial! The director of Parks acknowledged that there are differential degrees of maintenance for different parks. Local parks get minimal maintenance, others are getting much more attention.

Should elected officials ignore their constituents desires of providing the service they require for their parks? They would do that at their peril. As a Coldstream Councillor I believe my obligation is to look after the interests of the taxpayers who elected me. Thus, when taxpayers complain I must look for ways to remedy their complaints.

Lavington Park is far removed from Vernon. The City is the contractor looking after parks. The contractor's representative has to travel 20 kilometers one way to do maintenance at that park. Maintenance include opening and closing the washrooms daily, opening the pool during summer months and various other maintenance work on the grounds as needed to maintain the park in top condition.

Now the issues: is it economical to have a maintenance worker travel 80 km's daily to open and close the washroom and the pool? Is there a better option? Could the level of service be improved so Lavington residents will not have to put up with roots like the ones below? I believe there should be some solution that would give the taxpayers of Lavington the service they are paying for.





*************************************************


No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.