Sunday, May 31, 2009

Readers write -- Park complaints.

I'm back and I gotta beef but first I want to say that I am pleased with Coldstream council's management of our affairs to date! I fully support council's decision to review and potentially opt out of the GVA management of some of our local parks. Frankly I have been appalled with the performance and management of GVP for some time now, they run a very sloppy ship indeed. Let me just cite the current situation at Creekside Park. The whole park is serviced by just one garbage can when previously there were three. The result is more litter and dog scat with the BBQ grates acting as garbage receptacles. I have complained but no action has been taken to date.

Next we have the Cedar Fiasco, where the GVP, in it's misguided wisdom last summer, planted a number of trees on the lawn along the riparian zone, presumably to become pee posts for the dogs and a slalom course for the lawn mower man. Naturally, the trees did poorly and were removed this spring.

Finally, the skate board park beside the hockey rink is a perpetual litter zone, without a functional garbage receptacle as the kids use it as a play thing. Why not put a no littering sign up and bolt the garbage can to the concrete. The constant flow of junk food litter blows into the riparian zone or is mulched up by the lawnmower man on his weekly rounds. Nobody picks up after the kids.

Now I was quite irritated by Morningstar editorialists [opinion makers]and some Vernon politicians complaining about Coldstream Council wanting to review their participation in the GVS. It seems they view it as a sacred cow beyond reproach and accountability. I resent their meddling and encourage council to pay no attention to their unwarranted pressures. This is no trivial issue as I pay about 14% of my taxes for park services which in my opinion appears wanting.

Peter Peto

**********************************************************


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sad witness to a dog struck in the cross-walk from the Kal Beach parking lot to the beach. I never want to see that again. I still have a vivid image of the grieving sweet lady who is well known to the Kal-Vista neighbours.

There is nothing to stop a dog chasing a badly thrown ball onto the road, running across the road to greet a friend etc.

The money spent on the cedars could have been put towards a simple fence.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.