Sunday, June 15, 2008

Readers write.

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, “ this is like déjà vu all over again”. I’m referring , of course, to Councillor Taylor’s winning the biggest spenders award for the second year running (or is it longer). In his own words, referring to his attending all the conferences he could last year, ” I will continue to go. So my expenses will probably continue to be on the high range compared to those who don’t attend these things.” ( Morning Star June 15th, 2008). If these are truly his words , they certainly display a distain for beleaguered taxpayer of this community, especially in a year when an attempt was made by Council to raise taxes by nearly 10%.


Don’t get me wrong, I believe there is a place for conference attendance…..sometimes. In the private sector it is usually done to network for business purposes or acquire technical skill, and in times of economic restraint attendance is canceled or severely limited. What value for money did I get from Councillors Taylor and Malerby attending a number of conferences? Why such high expenses when most conferences are within driving distance of Vernon? How did this conference attendance contribute to the better management of this community (raised taxes, expensive and unnecessary Spicer Block referendum, ignoring of the OCP, sewer issues, Smart Growth??)? Join me in helping to send these 2 individuals packing next civic election…..we, as a community, deserve better.ᘀ

*****************************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.