Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Group Seeks Council Support For Water Change - KISS FM

Written by Peter McIntyre 
Tuesday, 24 March 2015 04:17

The group Citizens for Change says Greater Vernon residents are getting hosed on their water rates.

Former city manager Eric Jackson told Vernon council, using the Duteau Creek source for domestic and farming is the reason the rates have tripled since 2003.

"The impact of this is that people on fixed incomes are finding it very difficult to pay their water bills. It's making Vernon less competitive with other Okanagan cities," says Jackson.

The group wants a change in the master water plan to make Duteau Creek water just for farming, and using Kal and Okanagan lakes for domestic.

"The high costs that citizens are paying is now going to to pay for expensive treatment of the worst quality water that we have in this area," says Jackson, who served as director of water reclamation for the city for 25 years and is currently a professor at Okanagan College.

Councillor Juliette Cunningham -- who is also Greater Vernon Advisory Committee chair -- says they will get public input as part of the process.

"I don't think we can assume to know what failed. Was it the plan, or the funding for the plan? I don't think any of us are really clear about that, and it's something we need to clarify," Cunningham tells Kiss FM.

Council will discuss the group's request for support at its next meeting April 13.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I am quite sure I know what failed: it was the referendum that asked people to approve the borrowing of $70 million for 6 specific projects of the Master Water Plan. The $70 million was not for unspecified expenditures: it was quite specific. No money - no plan.

I could be wrong and if you fellow water customers think I am wrong you can correct me by commenting on this blog.

The Citizens' group also made the presentation to Coldstream Council on Monday night. I welcome all ratepayers to provide input.

************************************************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To suggest that there is some group out there that has yet to be heard from regarding the MWP is ridiculous! Perhaps I am wrong and there is a silent majority , supportive of the original plan, that wants the most expensive water rates in the valley, poor quality potable water loaded with carcinogens and aluminum, but with the cleanest water for agriculture of probably anywhere in the country. Let's hear from them!

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.