Monday, April 14, 2014

100 Anniversary of the Court House - Councillor Enns' speech.

My Lords, Honourable Judges, Masters;

My name is Enns, initial R and I appear today in 3 capacities.

As an elected official of the District of Coldstream I bring greetings from and the support of the citizens of the District of Coldstream.  The District has supported this event today because the citizens recognize the tremendous economic importance of having a Courthouse in our community. 

As a Solicitor I can say that many benefits flow to our citizens by having a Probate Registry, a Small Claims Court and a forum for resolving major commercial disputes. 

We understand this building and the services provided here improve the quality of life in this region.

As a good skier and a bad faller  I can say that today I have seen the others with crutches and canes.  I did not see any wheel chairs today.

It maybe time, and I am speaking to my fellow elected officials, to look to the next hundred years and think with vision about replacing this building with a new facility.

I would also like to commend the volunteers of today’s event.

 Thank you, Councillor Enns, for representing Coldstream at this momentous occasion. 

*************************************************************

3 comments:

Shawn Lee said...

Ironic that Councillor Enns referred to Vernon as our community. The Courthouse is in Vernon not Coldstream where Mr Enns resides.

Coldstreamer said...

It was not that long ago that Dr Lee was also Councillor Lee so he should remember that Greater Vernon is a community that provides services for a fee to various members of the community, including Coldstream, an independent Municipality.

Penny S. said...


Put the petty politics aside folks. It is a wonderful building which has served B.C. citizens from all over for many years. They need to bring back the Assizes. Maybe there would have been wheelchairs if the disabled had been accommodated, i.e. the elevator.
Pity Mr Enns thinks it should be replaced with a "new" structure. It seems he does not value history/heritage? That speaks volumes about him, IMO

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.