Friday, February 7, 2014

Beginning of the Master Water Plan debate (Thanks to Jennifer of the MS for the search).


This was my first letter in 2002 dealing with the subject of the newly crafted MWP. The major point I was making that the valley lakes would be more desirable and cheaper to utilize for domestic water sources.

It seems I was not too far off from the truth. With the additional information I garnered since I am convinced that the most reliable and best quality domestic water source would be from Okanagan Lake. Even in the driest year Okanagan Lake would be there. Supply would be rationed as only the available annual yield could be used but that would be in the lake. The Duteau Creek supply could be much more risky due to year-to-year supply deficiencies. Just my opinion based on available evidence. 

The greatest concern for domestic customers should be the security of the water supply, rather than the cost. Cost is important but when you want to have a drink of water you want it to be available. I watch people carting dozens of bottled water to their cars not realizing that the cheapest small bottled water is costing them about $333 per cubic meter.

Watch for future additional information regarding water on this blog.

*********************************************************


1 comment:

Maria Besso said...

Very visionary letter Gyula, it seems to me that you made the right call back then. The 'NOWA' water, now known as 'Duteau Creek' source, should have stayed just for irrigation purposes - and not been subjected to expensive treatment. The mistake was putting domestic customers on it in the first place. Now that we have the benefit of hindsight, and we can see that over 95% of the water treated at Duteau Water Treatment plant in 2011 and 2012 was used to irrigate agricultural fields ... you'd think a lesson would have been learnt, but no, lets throw more money at it, and build a $26.5 million dollar filtration plant. Perhaps once all the agricultural water is priced into oblivion, then we can pave over the brown fields and build more houses, because we will need more domestic customers to pay for the expensive treated water.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.