Sunday, March 1, 2009

Selected Articles MS News -- 2009-03-01

The above article simplifies the issues somewhat which is no reflection on the author. The issue made complicated by the perceived process.

The Public hearing was called to deal with the fixing of operating hours (this could have been done by the business license process). Neighbours basically objected to the presence of the golf course. Objections varied from potential drunk drivers, golf balls bombarding the neighbours, trespassing and so on. However, the fixing the time of operation would not have remedied their objections.

Staff recommended fixing the operating hours to a fixed point (11 PM in their proposal) which would have replaced the nebulous 2 hours after sunset. The owner actually objected to any time limits and she may have had a point as operating hours should be set in the business license.

I say this to explain why I voted in favour of the staff recommendation. I could see their argument about the difficulty trying to enforce a nebulous definition of closing hours.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





***********************************************************************


No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.