Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Readers write -- Editor off course?

Morning Star -Letters

Mr Mitchell’s editorial accuses Coldstream of being “off course” simply because they acknowledged correspondence on the agenda of a public meeting. What is wrong with elected officials responding to a concern of a resident in their municipality? When did public interest in local governance become pandering? It seems your opinion of local government so jaded that you think elected officials can’t be trusted to write a contract that is binding? I was wondering about that myself, until Coldstream was willing to open a dialog on the issue of the eviction at Kin Race Track Park.

The fact that Mr Dirk has asked for information to understand an issue that he will be asked to vote on and that Coldstream is actually concerned with the implication of being in contravention of the Local Government act and breaching a valid contract is in my opinion commendable. They have asked for additional information, nothing more and the vote was unanimous.

I am proud of Coldstream council for acting independently and with integrity. The fact that Coldstream council is honoring their commitment to their constituents, to operate council an open, honest and transparent manner should be applauded, not criticized. I think the fact that this letter was delivered to all the local politicians and the only acknowledgement has been from Coldstream, shows that Coldstream is actually right “on course”.

Robyn Dalziel
250-542-6456

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be remembered that Kelowna spent $65,137.35 in an unsuccessful effort trying to remove a covenant on the lake shore property purchased from
Stanley Simpson in 1947 (Sawmill Covenant). Some judges seem to honour agreements between local governments and donors of properties for civic use! The Eagle!


***********************************************************



No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.