Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Councillor signing off after this term -- By Jennifer Smith, December 05

Nearly 200 council meetings, nine years and countless memories later, a veteran politician has announced her last term. Coldstream Coun. Carol Williams says she will put the same interest and enthusiasm into the rest of her term, but will not seek re-election in November 2008. “I have no intention of running again,” said the 76-year-old Williams. “I want a little more time to myself in my retirement.” Williams and her husband recently moved out of Coldstream, but she says whether she moved or not, she had not planned on seeking another term this time around. “I’ll have served nine years, that’s three terms, that’s pretty good for an old lady,” she laughed.For the rest of her term, Williams intends on giving the same commitment, including her past 30 years of volunteer time and support since moving to the area. “I’m still enthusiastic,” said the wife, mother and grandmother.

That commitment will not include any appointments to boards or committees, following the mayor’s recommendations which were made at Monday’s council meeting. Williams formerly served on the Okanagan Regional Library board as chairman, but her time on that board has run out. Coun. Mary Malerby is the newly appointed member, with Jim Garlick serving as an alternate. Bill Firman had been recommended for alternate duty but he declined. “I think I would be uncomfortable serving on the library board,” said Firman.

The rest of the appointments remain virtually the same. Mayor Gary Corner will continue to represent Coldstream at the North Okanagan Regional District and Greater Vernon Services Committee, with Glen Taylor as alternate. The Traffic Safety Committee appointment remains with Malerby and alternate Firman. Garlick continues his appointment on the Agricultural Advisory Committee and on the Advisory Planning Commission, with alternate Doug Dirk. On the Finance Committee Williams has been switched with Malerby, who will serve along with Corner, Garlick and Taylor. Malerby and Taylor will also serve on the Fire Halls Building Committee. The Pubic Works Facility Committee consists of Garlick and Taylor.Continuing on the Fire Department Liason is Dirk and alternate Taylor. While she has no role in these appointments, Williams says she will continue to show an interest. “I do attend committee meetings whether I sit on the committee or not,” said Williams.“I certainly do not intend to back away from any committee meetings.”

***************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.