Monday, July 4, 2016

Letter to the Editor - Readers write.

I watched the incredible Canada Day fireworks celebration at Kal Beach whistling and hollering along with the crowd! What a great display, culminating in a crescendo of explosive power that had us all thrilled. It is therefore with some trepidation that I dare raise this issue – a lot of garbage is going into the our drinking water supply for a few minutes of wonder. This is a photo of the fireworks debris we collected in a few minutes along a small portion of lakefront the morning after. It felt like a hangover, not worth the fun of the night before.  And this is just the pieces that we could reach, much more was visible on the shallow lake bottom.  How much more covers the north end of the lake?

About 2/3 of the debris was paper and will bio-degrade with time, but the rest is plastic that will never disappear.  Between the annual Halloween fireworks and now Canada Day on the beach (rather than on land as in the past), we are polluting our drinking water source at an increasing rate.

So at the risk of being labelled a grumpy old man, I would at least like to get a discussion going among all of us who love Kalamalka Lake.

Paul Christie
Concerned Resident

**********************************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.