Sunday, November 9, 2014

Comparing GVWU and Kelowna water rates.





In addition to the consumption rates shown above Kelowna residential water customers pay a parcel tax of $50 and a base fee of $141.60 annually.

A customer using 175 cubic meter per year (GVWU's average consumption figure) equally distributed at 43.75 cubic meters per quarter pays an annual water bill of  $262 per year in Kelowna.

For the same consumption GVWU charges $580 per year. The GVWU customer pays 220% more.

GVWU's annual cost for the same volume of water is expected to rise to $754 ($4.30 per cubic meter) during the next 5 years if there are no other increases in costs such as annual cost of living increases. Those additional costs would add to the annual rate increases.

**************************************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These rates might be the final "nail in the coffin" for me conducting business in this town. We own three homes, two of them rented, which comprise of 4 families who rent from us, at pretty reasonable rates, I might add. Every three months, we now see bills of almost $400 per house, excluding our own (I'm very frugal with water, because I remember reasonable rates). This town is becoming frivolous and now further pressure on business owners like myself will probably cause us to close up shop in Vernon and perhaps put our hard-earned dollars into cities like Kelowna, where utilities are obviously properly managed. Economically, it is a shame Vernon can't lead by example. A real damn shame. From the BX area of town.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.