Thursday, January 27, 2011

Water rate process draws fire - Morning Star News.


By
Jennifer Smith - Vernon Morning Star

A proposed hike in regional water rates continues to make waves in Coldstream.

The Greater Vernon Advisory Committee has proposed a 20 per cent increase in water rates for the average single-family home.

Coldstream politicians say the rushed time line GVAC follows to come up with the rates is unfair and deserves more time and attention.

“This process of just throwing it on the table and everybody scrambling is not fair to the utility users,” said Coun. Doug Dirk.

“It’s complex and it needs to be worked on and given some thought.”

As a result, Coldstream is requesting that a committee be formed to give adequate attention to the issue of water rates.

The actual rate itself is getting a mixed reaction from councillors.

“I don’t think the $66 per quarter fee is an inordinate amount to pay,” said Coun. Maria Besso of the proposed new base fee (which is up from $50, but does not include the initial use of 20 cubic metres).

“Based on my water bill my rates would go up 26 per cent, but if I reduced my water consumption by 70 cubic metres I’d be back to what I paid last year,” said Besso of the incentive to use less water.

Dirk sees the hike in the base fee as an access charge that is necessary to ensure water is at hand for residents.

“The fact that water is available to you has a certain cost,” said Dirk.

Mayor Jim Garlick, who is also a GVAC director, says the hike is needed to pay for projects started this year.

There will also be a need to borrow $4 million next year to complete the Swan Lake separation from Goose Lake.

He understands that there is a need to fund projects, but Coun. Gyula Kiss isn’t happy with how the funds are being collected.

“It puts the burden on the very low users and generally the lowest users are the ones with the lowest incomes,” said Kiss, as the model doesn’t reward those who are already using less water.

“It shouldn’t be put on the backs of the low-income families.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I indicated in the above article I do not disagree with Mayor Garlick about the need for funding. I disagree with the proposed formula for collecting those funds.

Councillor Besso considers the $66.20 flat fee reasonable. She figures that if she saves 70 cubic meters of water she comes out even. What should the person who used 8 cu m for three months do to save? If she halves her consumption she would save $2.40. That's peanuts on top of the $66.20. Let's be reasonable!

******************************************************************************


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just curious, but how many people actually use less than 10 CU meters in a quarter anyway?

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.