Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Are the visual effects worth $325,000?



The above news item partly explains the debate Council had at their last meeting relating to the siting of the new reservoir on Middleton Mountain. Councillor Besso and I voted against the motion to accept Site A2 as opposed to Site A1. I wish to explain my reasons for my preference to Site A1.

The attached graphics indicate the differences between Sites A1 and A2. The artistic concept between A1 (Figure 8) and A2 (Figure 9) appears to be almost imperceptible. The cross-section drawing also shows negligible differences. The hydraulics appear to be identical.

The major difference is in the price: A1 is projected at $3,089,000, A2 is at $3,416,000, a difference of $327,000 or 10.6%. The cost of this project is coming from water rates that is from you and I. In my opinion a price differential of 10.6% is not justified for the imperceptible visual difference between the two sites.


Obviously, the rest of Council had their own compelling reasons for voting the way they did and they had every right to do so. I felt I should explain my reasons for my vote
to residents of Coldstream.





*********************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.