Monday, April 27, 2009

How much is your next sewer bill?

Implementation of the user pay sewer bill will change your bill. In order to estimate how much you pay here is a way to calculate.

The flat rate part of your next quarter bill will be $83.50. The additional fee calculated as 1.3X your water consumption indicated on your March Utility bill.

As an example: your last bill showed 35 m3 water consumption then your sewer bill will be 83.50+35X1.3=$129 (instead of $142 using the flat rate method). If your water consumption is lower your bill will be lower and if its higher your sewer bill will be higher.

In this example your savings for the year would be $39. However, I intend to press for more improvements in the future, including policy changes that will reduce the amount of reserves we collect for future infrastructure work.

The current policy is to set aside 50% of estimated future infrastructure improvements totally financed by utility (sewer) users. My opinion is that future residents should decide themselves how to pay for infrastructure coming in the distant future. Present customers are still paying for the extension of sewer line in 2007 (almost a million dollars) yet they are required to shoulder major reserve build up at the same time. Residents who are not on sewer do not contribute anything to these funds.

My intent is to remedy this oversight of previous Councils. Your support would be appreciated.

**************************************************************************


No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.