Monday, May 26, 2008

Council meeting --May 26, 2008 -- sewer report.

Council tabled the recommendations by Administration regarding the rate cut and the 50/50 principle.

It appears that further discussions are needed. It is hoped that those future discussions on this issue will be open to the public and the public will have a chance for input.

Attached is the report that was to be debated then tabled. I will comment on them later (it's bed time!).


Please examine page 89 (second page of letter above) and note the 5 to 7 year estimates for upgrading. The total is estimated to be $2,123,000. Note also the available funds (excluding DCC's) totaling $884,975 which were collected off the existing sewer customers. That is over 2.5 times the amount Coldstream needs for the operation and maintenance of the sewer system in Coldstream. A 50% reserve would be a healthy insurance for unforeseen expenses (about $180,000).

When the $625,000 upgrade to the Coldstream Creek lift station is required we could borrow it. The annual financing of that sum would cost each household about $25.00 and reducing annually as more customers connect (you can see all those new lots being developed on the hillsides and on Aberdeen Road. Those all will be new customers).

The major point is: let's keep my money in MY pocket until it's needed. Then I can be sure that my Council is going to use it for its intended purpose and will not raid it for the benefit of a preferred customer.

Discussing Financing Strategies for new sewer extensions is a unique idea. Should it not have been done before we built the trunk line from McClounie to Mackie Drive so we could have figured out HOW to include such remote areas as Bel Air Drive, the south extension of Giles Drive and the rest of the presently inaccessible areas? How much will those extensions cost and who will pay? Is it fair to force those people to connect and pay when they were not consulted (or ignored!) in advance?

It seems to me that Council is rushing ahead with more and more sewer trunk lines WITHOUT consulting with those who they eventually want to FORCE to connect. "Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!!!" seems to be the operating motto of Council. Yet they have not mentioned anything about the potential problem at Coldstream Valley Estates.

I have the email list of most of the CRPA members but these issues are very important for all of Coldstream. I ask everyone to spread the word among your neighbours. I am considering to have a general meeting of the Ratepayers to discuss current issues (have we received any improvement to our water or at least an apology for the lack of improvement?). I would appreciate some comments from all residents (those not sharing my views are also encouraged to comment).

Gyula


*******************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.