Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Support For Governance Study - KISS FM News

Written by Peter McIntyre  

Vernon council looks like it will push for a study on governance in Greater Vernon -- but that might not be enough to get some action on the issue.

Several city Councillors say they would support the province funding a study into unified governance, in response to a citizen led petition on the topic.

Mayor Rob Sawatzky says it would give residents information to make an informed decision.
"It's pretty strongly indicated that council would such a study but that alone would not move the process forward. You must have other interested parties. Your community neighbors must have an interest," says Sawatzky.

The Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce is calling on local governments to support a study, but officials from Coldstream and Electoral Areas B and C have said it's not a priority for their residents.

Councillor Catherine Lord says amalgamation in other areas hasn't always been successful, but it deserves a closer look here.

"I don't think it would hurt us at all for the provincial government, if they're paying for it, to do a study on this, and find out what the majority of our residents think," says Lord.

Councillor Juliette Cunningham also supports a review.

"This issue has been raised over and over again, in the last probably several decades. I support a review of that because I think people need to be informed of what the costs and ramifications may be," Cunningham tells Kiss FM.

Council could take action next month after hearing from the Greater Vernon Governance Society which ran a petition on the issue.

KISS FM is conducting a survey on its webpage.

http://www.1075kiss.com/

Survey is now over.
******************************************************************** 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh well, why not? It's just money.



Anonymous said...

Sheesh, you would almost think Vernon didn't have any costly infrastructure that needs upgrading.

Oh...wait, why not milk the rural cows...

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that ALL jurisdictions have to agree, or two at least. The Provincial Government has said they aren't going to get involved. That should be end of story.

Coldstreamer said...

Electors of all four jurisdictions (Vernon, Coldstream, Area B and Area C) must agree to have the study initiated. Studies are great to keep the issue of the day in the public eye. The main question is: do you want to have more or less influence in the operation of your municipality. The larger the municipality the less influence any one taxpayer has. It appears that Vernon business people rekindle this same issue every five or so years. Last time it was 2007-2008. Okanagan Landing (Area A)was amalgamated in the late 1990's. That study is still available. Ask most Landing residents how they fared since they were "unified".

Anonymous said...

Why are Vernon business people doing this? Who are you?

I'd like to support businesses that appreciate Coldstream's contributions to our region.

Coldstreamer said...

It is actually insulting that some people in Vernon insinuate that I don't know what is good for me and their superior intellect can guide me in my decisions. When I purchased my lot in 1995 I was aware of the services available and I consciously chose my future place of residence and the community in which I wanted to live. I still stand by my decision and I don't need advice from outside vested interests.

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.