Saturday, January 19, 2013

Photo gallery - Debbie with a story (it's true, I watched her do it)!

We have had three Red-Tails hunting in our yard - a juvenile and an adult female with her juvenile.  The mother and youngster got marooned in the snow bank.  No pics of the mother 'cause I rescued her first using a bath towel and then the youngster.  They didn't struggle and never tried to bite me.  I was mostly worried about their talons which are needle sharp and can go through your hand or arm like butter.  Mum flew away but the youngster sat in the pine tree and watched me through the kitchen window for the rest of the day - guess he thought I was going to feed him, too. Debbie




*******************************************************************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Good for you. Last week I got a very fast close up look at one as it swooped under our covered deck in hot pursuit of something. It was flying at an angle so I had a perfect view of it's underside.

Several years ago while camping in the South Okanagan we were traveling the Golden Mile between Osoyoos and Oliver when we came across a stunned Great Horned owl at the side of the road. I was aware of the talons and put it between two bed pillows. They worked perfectly to transport the owl to SORCO were the lovely former caregiver administered first aid and rehab to the owl.

Debbie said...

Thank you and same to you for rescuing the owl! The mother hawk was actually splayed out under the pyramid cedars and was quite distressed and I had quite a time getting her out without damaging any feathers but succeeded and she was fine.
Debbie

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.