Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Selected Articles - Morning Star News



------------------------------------------------------



Richard is right: I did chastize the 2002 Council for going against the decision of the taxpayers. But there is more to it than that.

First of all as the former Mayor I agreed that Coldstream needed a new fire hall and the old hall was a sad old building that needed replacement. My objections were first, for going to referendum in a non election year, when the turnout is generally poor and it's a lot of extra cost and second, Council borrowing after the project was rejected. The question at the time was: “are you in favour of borrowing up $$$...”. Any amount borrowed, even on a short term basis, after the vote was unethical and perhaps even illegal.

I do believe that we need to build new public works facilities. We have to ensure that our employees are working in decent facilities so they can do their jobs in an acceptable environment. We were elected to run the affairs of the municipality on behalf of the taxpayers. We collectively feel that the facilities are inadequate. If the taxpayers do not think we are correct and reject the proposal then we need to re-think how we continue. I, for one, am not going to vote for borrowing if the taxpayers are not willing to pay. It’s their money!

*********************************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.