Friday, January 11, 2008

Budget blues - should it be $568 or $440. Your choice!

Some of you might be wondering why I am neglecting my blog. In fact, I was busy critically reviewing the budget as it relates to sewer rates and I am producing my first interesting observation on the subject. It seems, the trend of "milking" sewer customers is continuing and it demonstrates that we must stand up for our rights.

Just to tickle your interest I present two documents. The one on the left of the "Cash Cow" was presented at the budget open house in the Municipal Hall on January 7th. It shows the "fixed costs" for the sewer as envisioned by the Director of Finance, a whopping $612,817. A generous $150,000 reserve (about 25% of the "Total Fixed Costs) was added to the total bringing it to $762,817.

Upon reviewing said document I found that ($266,654) was included that was part of the "treatment and disposal bill" the City of Vernon submits to Coldstream. That has nothing to do with fixed Coldstream costs. Removing that sum brings the Total Fixed Costs to $341,100, 25% of which ($82,275) is added as reserve. This is how I arrived at the Base Costs of $423,375.

Using the number of connections (2012) the annual fixed cost per connection (or customer!) is calculated as $210 or quarterly $53.

The City of Vernon submits a bill to Coldstream quarterly. The annual bill from the City for 2008 is estimated at $460,000 (give or take). This figure divided by 2012 is $230 in round figures ($57.50 per quarter).

The base cost of $423,375 plus the treatment and disposal cost of $460,000 totals $883,375. Based on these figures the flat sewer rate for 2008 should be $440 annually or $110 quarterly.

Compare this figure to that proposed by the Director of Finance ($568) and you'll see why Coldstream's sewer customers are considered to be "Cash Cows". Council wants to replenish the Sewer Reserve Fund and we are the best subjects for the project.

Your comments, critiques, as always, are welcome. I will present these findings along with other comments to Council at the next meeting on January 14, 2008 at 7:00 PM at the Municipal Hall. Anybody interested in the subject is welcome.

*******************************************

No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.