Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mixed feelings -- by Richard Rolke -- Morning Star, 97-07-05

Editor's Note:

One of the problems with the present debate is that people overlook one major point: agriculture is the major industry of Coldstream and agricultural land is industrial land. The proposed complex here would convert prime agricultural industrial land for a sports complex. Is it short sighted?

Firm opinions about a sports complex in Coldstream abound these days, but you won’t find one here.

Since the plan was first announced by the Greater Vernon Services Committee, I have wrestled with the notion of a large-scale complex on Aberdeen Road. And that may seem strange as I have written before about the lack of proper sports facilities in Greater Vernon compared to other communities.

But I am the product of farmers and agriculture is deep within my roots. As I drive past the Aberdeen Road property every day, I value its ability to grow numerous forage crops a year.

I also shudder at how Coldstream is becoming urbanized. I fear that a sports complex on this site will open the door for other properties in the area to develop, further diminishing so-called rural living at its best.

And for GVSC officials to claim the land could always return to agriculture is a joke. Once millions of taxpayers’ dollars have been invested on asphalt, playing fields and buildings, farming is never coming back.

Beyond this, I am only about a 10-minute walk from the site so I selfishly wonder how it will impact me. Already I hear the Funtastic music festival from DND, so what will it be like if the concert is just up the road from me?

I also question why a banquet hall has been placed in preliminary designs. Receptions and dinners could be held at existing hotels and restaurants in Vernon, bolstering their revenues and reducing the impact on the Aberdeen Road neighbourhood.

But as I indicated earlier, I have a split personality when it comes to this matter, and I also see positive aspects to the complex.

Primarily, my daughters play fastball and I have experienced tournaments both here and away. After working concession stands and sitting in bleachers, I believe the current facilities in Greater Vernon are woefully inadequate.

Yes there are the DND fields, but GVSC can only ink a year-to-year lease from the federal government. There is no certainty that those lands will always be available to the public, so any major spending on capital upgrades is a waste of cash.

As for Marshall Fields, it is largely committed to soccer and I don’t see how it can be expanded to include football, track and field, fastball, slowpitch and dog agility.

GVSC’s opponents insist economics are driving the proposal, but they ignore the importance sports tourism can have on the area. Everyone attending a tournament drops money at local hotels, restaurants, shops and gas stations. In turn, those businesses hire local residents and purchase supplies from other businesses. Ultimately, some of that cash goes back into municipalities through taxes.

But economics aside, proper sports facilities will allow local residents — both youth and adults — to train and play here. Currently, that is extremely challenging for both football and track and field.

And as much as I want farm land preserved, there is the reality that the only large chunks of property left in Greater Vernon are in the Agricultural Land Reserve. If it’s not Aberdeen Road, it will be farm land somewhere because the issue of a sports complex won’t go away.

In the end, I will support the concept of a sports complex on Aberdeen Road, but I’m not completely thrilled about it.

Hopefully, Coldstream council gets more clear direction from other residents so an educated decision can be made.


No comments:

Coldstream Ratepayers News! All Coldstream residents are ratepayers!

The opinions expressed by "Coldstreamer" are strictly his own and do not represent the opinions of Coldstream Council!

Because I value your thoughtful opinions, I encourage you to add a comment to this discussion. Don't be offended if I edit your comments for clarity or to keep out questionable matters, however, and I may even delete off-topic comments.

Gyula Kiss
coldstreamer@shaw.ca;

***Coldstreamernews***

***Coldstreamernews***
We must protect our rights and freedom! (Photo courtesy of D. Gibson) Click on eagle to watch EAGLECAMS

About Me

My photo
I have been a resident of Coldstream since 1976. I have had 15 years of experience on Council, 3 years as Mayor. As a current Councillor I am working to achieve fair water and sewer rates and to ensure that taxpayers get fair treatment. The current direction regarding water supply is unsustainable and I am doing all I can to get the most cost effective water supply possible.